Friday, November 13, 2009

Promise (9)

Chapter 8 : Stalker?

I have to move on... I have to move on... I keep telling myself ever since the day he left. My wound in my heart hasn't healed itself, but I have to be strong. I know it, he knows it too.

"He what??" Cindy asks with a great horrific expression as we walk to class.
"Sydney.." Emma adds in.
"I'm fine, guys." I lie. They don't have to suffer with me. The only reason I tell them is because Cindy will find out sooner or later - about Cedric. It's so weird saying his name. Cedric.
"Hmm... Okay, let's, er.. hang out after school!" Cindy suggests, hopping a little and smiling at the same time. I see Emma nudge her elbow from the corner of my eye.
"Ow! What?" Cindy cries out. She rubs her elbow for several seconds and then looks at me looking at her. Both of them look at me.
I walk and stand in front of the girls, facing them.
"Look, I'm fine." I repeat. I don't want them to feel awkward with me. Just because I lose a boyfriend, doesn't mean that I have to lose them too. They are too precious. "Let's have ice-cream later." I said after a while.
We all look at each other, and laugh.

Cedric..how are you today? It has been a month. You haven't called or mailed me. Are you alright? I am worried. I miss you.


"SUPER-MEGA-GAJILLION-OMGNESS!!!!" Cindy shouts at the other end of the phone line. "Guess what?? Someone just asked me out!!! He's from our school. Do you know Cole? I am chatting with him online now. He's super cute. Such a sweetie! Ohhh!!! He said that we'll meet tomorrow.." She trails off.
"Tomorrow?" I ask again. "Aren't we going out for a movie?"
"Oh...Yeah. Er. Hm..."
"Never mind. Go ahead." I feel irritated. She drags me into the girls-night-out plan and now she's cancelling it. But it's not her fault. I understand - because I was once deeply and crazily in love too. I am still now - the fact that I am also a little lost in my blue imaginery sea.
"I'm so sorry, Sydney.. I am very sorry."
"What do you mean you're sorry?" I tell her. "If you're happy, I'm happy. Now, quickly pick your dress!" I hope I sound convincing enough. I think I do.
"Okay! I'll call you when I find it! Oh-em-gee. I should have cleaned my wardrobe ages ago. It's such a mess. I doubt I can find anything in there."
I smile. She's so funny. I love her for that.
"Okay, so I'll talk to you later?" she asks.
"Yeap."

I put my phone down on my study table. I sit in silence, listening to the crickets outside sing, listening to the frogs croak. The grass is still wet from evening's rain, reflecting the light from the white blue moon. It reminds me of the pendant Cedric left me. The shiny, pretty blue green crystal. I open my table drawer and find it lying with some of his other memories - a handkerchief he once lent me, a pencil he gave me, a photo of both of us and the letter of his departure - to somewhere. I sigh. I should have cleared these things a long time ago and put them aside. I feel sad. Is it worth the time thinking and waiting for him? Is the promise a true promise? I take the pendant out from the drawer, lifting it a level with my eyes. The angles of every sides of the pendant reflects the most unique colours under the moonlight.

"Sydney?" My mum knocks the door and open it. "You have a phone call."
A phone call? I think. Cindy? Nobody ever asks for me through the house phone. "Thanks."
I run down the stairs, almost trip on something on the floor and reach out to the phone.
"Hello?"
"Hey, Sydney."
I cannot recognize this voice - but I know it is a guy.
"May I know, who is this?"
He just laughs. I tap my finger on the side table, wondering if he will answer my question.
"I know you, but I don't think you know me."
"Er, obviously." I reply short. Whoever this person is, he's a freaking stalker.
"Don't think of me that way." He just read my mind...What?
"See me at the foyer on Monday, okay? You'll know who I am." He says.
"That's the reason you called me?"
"Yeah, pretty much the reason I called you. Another thing, I just want to ask if you're okay." This guy is getting weird.
"Why? You mean, I shouldn't be?"
He is silent.
"Okay, I'll see you at the foyer.. Hold on, you're in the same school?"
And he hangs up. I look at the phone on my hand, staring in disbelief. "I'm so not seeing you. Why must I?"

I tell nothing about the misterious guy who called three nights ago. "So, how was your date?" I ask Cindy.
"Well, it was a peaceful date. But I like it," she just says. Peaceful. I wonder if Cole will freak out if he knows Cindy's..loud. I laugh to myself.
"What?"
I guess she must have heard me.
"I wonder.. about the peaceful thing."
"Girls change, dear," she blushes. From the other end of the corridor, Emma comes running towards us.
"Ciinndyyyy!" She reaches us, still panting. She takes in a few breath of air and continues, "Miss Fish wants to see you, us."
"Oh, must be about the bully case."
"What bully case?" I ask.
"Nah.. It's just something I have to help, for investigation. Byes, see you later, Sydney!"
Both of them disappear within seconds in a crowd of schoolmates.

I walk to the foyer, then I remember. I look around to see if anybody is waiting there. No, there isn't. With a breath of relief I walk out towards the main gate.

That night, he calls again.
"Hello?" I recognize his voice this time.
"Yeah, Sydney here."
"You didn't come today.."
"Yeah." I am so not in the mood for games. "Why not you just tell me who you are and what exactly do you want?" I have to be more defensive and protective of myself - since Cedric's not here to, protect me. I don't know this guy.
"I am a new student."
Wow, that's a clue, I think, sarcastically.
"How did you know my number?" I ask, a little curious this time.
"The students' register, in the office."
"Ohh."
"Well, good night then. See you tomorrow."
"Er, good night."

"Who's that?" Dad asks as soon as I walk to the living room.
"I don't know."
"Ohh."
I laugh. He's reaction is the same as mine - Ohh. How alike can we be? I sit and watch tv with him. Mum brought popcorns into the room. We watch together then. It is like there are no worries at that moment. I am back to when I was four. Mum and Dad would always sit and play with me the whole day.

I will accept, whatever happens next..

No comments: