Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Promise (4)

Chapter 3 : The Dream

I had a dream. A dream so real I never thought I would have.

I was walking alone at a sidewalk. It was cold and so my arms wrapped around my body. I was wearing my favourite beige winter jacket, a scarf and jeans. I was checking the time on my watch when I heard my name called, "Hey, Sydney!" I turned toward the direction of the sweet, calm voice to see a guy looking at me. I was startled for a moment that I stared at him.
Did he just call me?
His gaze was still on me. Do I know him? I thought.
But then, of course, the more important question should be, How does he know my name?? However, my mind didn't process fast enough for me to say a thing.

His face was unfamiliar. A stranger to me.

I studied his face. Hmm.. His eyebrows are in naturally-perfect shape, his irises are caramel-coloured.. Hair perfectly styled.
Wow.. Impressive.
I suddenly realised that I was almost day-dreaming. I blinked my eyes and shook my head a little to clear my thoughts.
He was still looking.
Then, he got up from the bench he was sitting on and walked toward me.
I didn't move a muscle. I had that strange feeling - which told me I should run.
But, I didn't move. I couldn't. It was like I froze due to a sudden drop in temperature.
Sigh..

He threw a crooked smile when he finally stopped a feet away in front of me.
Wow.. Again. He did look attractive for a moment, since a while ago..
He seemed to glow despite the place being dark.

Then, he said something which sounded like "Hello, I'm..."
I didn't get the next few words because everything seemed to be blur.
I replied his hello and of course, I didn't have to introduce myself.
Before I could ask anything else he held his hand out. I looked at the fair hand and looked up again at him. My head moved up slowly like a machine - or more like the head of a robot. "Err..why?" What a silly question, i thought after a few seconds. Well, he just wanted to shake hands, of course.
He just grinned.
So, I reached for his hand and shook it.
His hand felt so smooth and warm. My body felt as if the ice around it melted instantly.
Two seconds later, I realised we were doing some kind of hand shake.
I followed and almost laughed because I couldn't believe what I was doing at the moment.
Silly..doing a hand shake out of nowhere in the public with a stranger?? How much weirder can it be?
Later he said, "I heard that you can dance."
I frowned and thought how he'd known..
Slow music started playing in the air. I did not know where it was from. I didn't want to.

"Shall we?" He bent forward, left hand at the back and the other held out gracefully - again -offering a dance.
I was thinking (a) I couldn't dance with just any stranger - here and (b) I was crazy because the next thing I knew I was placing my small hand on his and swaying. A slow waltz.
We danced for a while - for quite a long time.
Blur images started to form.


That's when I wake up. I stare at my ceiling. I am on my bed - in my room. Oh..yeah. I try to recall what happened. Right. I was dreaming after all. I ain't wearing any jacket or jeans. I am in my pyjamas.
My thoughts fly back to my dream again. Weird but beautiful, i think. Who was that guy anyway? I didn't catch his name.

"Oh, whatever!" I say in a loud whisper under my blanket. It was a dream! Moreover, who cares? I don't even dance.

I clear my mind and get up from bed. After cleaning myself, I rush downstairs to find my parents at the kitchen. "Morning, Cassie!" Seems like I startle my sleeping dog.
"Hey, honey. How was your date?" Dad asks.
I never seem to get away without a question or two after every date I have. I am surprised I actually never get used to it. "Did he like it?" he continues after a pause.
"Right..the birthday. Erm. Yeah! He loved it," I reply convincingly. I look up to see both pairs of eyes on me.
"Erm, Mum? Can you please pass me the cereal? Thanks," I act nonchalantly, trying to break the awkwardness. I pour the cereal into my bowl of milk and start munching - really loud.

"Well.. I am glad," Mum says after a long silence.
I realise her throwing a quick glance at dad which makes him go, "Well, yeah. Sydney, erm.. Good for you."
"Both your dad and I might have been wrong..of you, and Cedric."
I raise one eyebrow and study their expressions really quick to see if they are joking. Well, not.
Well done, i think.
"Er..thanks! Mum, dad. It's really nice of you," I try not to sound too delighted.

After finishing breakfast, I rush upstairs to grab my bag. I am in a hurry now that I am almost late to meet my friends at the not-so-popular mall near town. It has been quite a while since I last saw them and I am quite excited!

"Bye, Mum! Bye, Dad!" and I am off.


[this story is fictional and it has nothing to do with the living or the dead]
[please be noted that places mentioned are meant to be fictional]

**This chapter is based on a dream i had one night. A few changes are made to make it less silly. LOL.

3 comments:

Laurane said...

haha. you're so funny.

A bit of grammar mistakes here and there but overall was good :)

Rachel [y33ming] said...

r=A dream... Who's that guy anyway? Cedric?

Michelle said...

huh... where??? mind to tell?