Sunday, November 23, 2008

Promise (3)

Chapter 2 : Cinderella..Back By Eight?

"So what makes you think I love cheese cake?" Cedric asks while controlling the steering wheel with his left hand. The other - holding my small, fragile hand.

Cedric and I are on our way home - to my home. He is supposed to be sending me back, by eight. Right now, it is a quarter past eight. Obviously my mum will not be glad - and my dad. And my dog. The truth is, mum isn't really fond that I'm going out (or rather, dating - the exact word) with Cedric. Dad too.
Cedric's parent are not too sure either.

When I ask Cedric about this, all he says is, "Don't worry, they'll get over it," confidently. Maybe Cedric's right - I don't have to worry. So, actually, my family knows about Cedrics's family and they know my family as well. How? Open day and Parent-Teacher's Meeting, of course. Plus, it is because we have known each other almost half our lives.

Their conversation went like this the first time they met in school. As far as I can remember..we were juniors in high school. Not very pleasant times, really.
"So, Mrs Applemint, my son, Cedric, talks a lot about your daughter," Mrs Richmen started as soon as Cedric and I introduced our families. "Sydney is indeed very beautiful," she continued and smiled at Cedric.
I shot an embarrassed look at him.
"Well, after all, she's all I got. Your son is one good-looking boy too, you know," my mum replied in a manner so polite I almost couldn't recognised and laughed. We all laughed - not so much for me.
Everything was fine at that time because Cedric and I were just plain, good friends. The fact that both our families opposed our relationship when we were 14 was because (a) I - my family - wasn't up to standard and (b) Cedric was too good for me.

Sigh..
However, I always believe till now that their minds will one day, change.

The reason why we are late now is because we spent nearly 30 minutes hugging..and.. and it's just that, that we forget all about time.

"I read your profile in your blog. I do blog, you know," I reply him sarcastically.
"Haha, one point for Miss Applemint."
"Haha..very funny," and I pull out an 'amused' look. He notices my familiar expression and chuckles.

We reach the front of my house just before half past eight. I get out of his car. My black, brown hair swings in the air as I turn my head to face him who is sitting in his comfortable seat and wave goodbye.

As I am walking to the porch of my home, with my back facing the car, Cedric honks and wishes goodnight - aloud. I quickly make my way to the door and inside my cosy little house before any neighbour looks out of his - or her window.

Guess what? Mum and dad are out. Of course, i think. They would have waited at the door if they were home to see me waving goodbye at my beloved Cedric. "Hey, Cassie," I greet my dog, pat him and feed him. So what I do next is grab some cream crackers and head up to my bedroom facing the street at the first floor and changed into my teddy-printed pyjamas.

Just as I am pulling out my History book from my pile of untouched-since-summer-holiday school books and magazines, my phone rings. I reach for my phone in my bag - on my bed - which is beside my study table. I look to the screen to see Cedric's name.
"How's it going?" the first question pops out as soon as I receive the call.
"It's fine. They're out. Remind me again if we ever, ever get into this situation again. How about you?" I answer while munching my second cracker and swallowing it down my throat.
"Very cool. You know I never have limits,"
Which means, Cedric is free to be anywhere at anytime of the day.

Before I can say anything more, I see two streams of light which brighten the entire dark, quiet street in front of me.
"Er..Cedric, sorry. I have got to go. My parents are back. See you other time! Night," I rush those words in three seconds and manoeuvre my finger to the end-call button before he says anything.
I open my book to the page where I last stopped and read while my mouth is munching away.

"Sydney?" my mum calls from my door which has the poster of my favourite movie - titanic on it.
"Yes?" I reply in a bright tone as I make my way to the door and open it.
"I called the house at eight to check if you were home. And nobody picked it up. Where were you?" she asks, her voice more and more suspicious.
"Oh.." Before I can think of anything else, I shoot out a reason you can call reasonable and acceptable, "Probably, I was too ABSORBED in my homework.." and grin.
"Uh.."
Still grinning.
She scans my room - my study table which now looks utterly messy as though i have been sitting there all day long - and leave.

"2 points for me.." I whisper to myself although mum is no longer upstairs in front of me.

Half an hour later, I am on my bed, dreaming of another day of summer vacation.



[this story is fictional and it has nothing to do with the living or the dead][please be noted that places mentioned are meant to be fictional]
**not meant to sound alike (if you think it is) with other stories you known.

2 comments:

Rachel [y33ming] said...

haha. I really fancy the title... 'Cinderella.... back by eight?' ! Cool chap, keep it up!

Kisses, ming

Div :) said...

...wow... this is really nice ... good work ;) :*