Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Promise (7)

Chapter 6 : The Letter

Two months later...

Hey, let's meet at 'Secret Lane' tomorrow. I'll be there by five. I read the text message Cedric sent. I feel excited because we are visiting our traditional hang-out place for my birthday a little early this year - because he will not be able to be here on my birthday, that's what he said. At least, he remembers it - and that's the more important point, isn't it?

I love 'Secret Lane'. It is like the most romantic place on earth and every romance movie should be shot at 'Secret Lane'. It is a long but narrow road that leads to somewhere that I have to find out - because there are no sign boards. When autumn arrives, the red and yellow leaves of the maple trees along the road will fall. The sound of the leaves falling with the wind that blows through them is like a peaceful melody.

I reach our meeting spot at half past four. I want to be earlier than him. I laugh at myself. He will be shocked to see me here first. He must have been thinking of ways to tease me about punctuality. I am definitely not giving him the chance -the last time I was late for a class gathering and he teased me.

I walk around. At times, I will check my watch. The time seems to be ticking by really slowly. At almost five, I start to feel cold. It is getting darker and the wind is blowing harder. I put my hands into my pocket. I feel something - small and hard. I take it out.

It is a shiny blue green pendant. "What is this?" I ask myself. I have never seen this before. "How did it appear in my pocket?"

"You like it?" I hear a voice with the sound of the owner's footsteps behind me. I turn.
"Er, ..." I raise an eyebrow.
"Don't worry, it's nothing."
"It's nothing? It's beautiful."
"Yeah, it is. But don't you like it? It's for you.."
"I can't accept it, Cedric."
He reaches me and holds my cold hands with his - warm and nice. "I want you to have it." He looks at me like he means it. "Your birthday present."
"Cedric, you know I never allow you to get me a present. Same goes to this year."
He hugs me - real tight. "Er, Cedric... haha. I can't breathe.."
I gasp for air as he releases his grip a little. I return his hug. I wrap his body with my arms that don't seem long enough. I release them after a while to continue telling him that I don't need a present.
"Cedric..." I stop. His face is different now. There are lines forming on his forehead - like he has aged a few years. His mouth is no longer in a smile. His eyes look like they are about to well up. He looks so... weak. I look at him - and he avoids my gaze.
"Cedric, look at me." I hold his cheek with my palms so that his eyes look straight at me. "What's wrong?"
He stares and then smiles again. "Nothing. Just upset that you don't want this present. I bought it with my own savings." He chuckles.
I give a sigh of relief. As if there is something worse than this now. Of course he is upset. I totally ignore his feelings. But something still feels wrong.
"Fine. I'll keep this." I smile back, holding the pendant in my palm and waving it at him. "Thank you, it's really beautiful."
And he hugs me again.

"Mum! I'm back!" I call out as soon as I reach home. I throw my bag and jacket to the corner - and fall right onto the couch. My legs feel so heavy and tired. But it is simply wonderful, and perfect. Cedric and I walk down the road for quite a long time, just holding hands and enjoying the moment. That magical feeling never bores me. Never disappears.

"Sydney?" Dad calls me from his study.
"Yeah?"
"I think I heard the letter box closed, just after you left this evening. Do you mind taking the letters in?"
"Er..okay." I mumble.

I get up, unwillingly, towards the door.

I open the letter box. A few letters are in it. I check them one by one. A letter from my dad's company, a postcard from my aunt living in Canada, a flyer from a delivery company and.. one for me - with no sender on the envelope. I walk back into the house. After giving my dad the mails, I head to my room with my bag, jacket and the letter.

I open the envelope. Inside it is a pink paper with black ink staining the corners of it. I open the paper folded in half. I recognise right away that it is Cedric's handwriting. I begin reading its contents.

Hey, Sydney.

It's me Cedric. Er.. you must be thinking why I wrote this letter for you.. I want to tell you something. But I can't tell in front of you. I just can't bring myself to see your reaction after I tell you this..

I am moving. I am. Please, finish reading this before you do anything else. I beg you.

I knew that I was leaving.. two months ago. When I was told about it, I was devastated. I was hurt. I didn't want to leave you. But nothing could change my dad's decision. I have to leave. I don't know where I'm going though. He won't tell me.

Please, don't cry. I know I'm selfish for not telling you.. I am leaving tonight. I want to see you one last time before I go. No, don't come to the airport. I am already in the plane when you read this. I didnt want you to send me because I know you'll be sad or maybe crying. I want to see and remember your happy face - so that I will have something to hold on to when I am away. The sweet girl I have always love, don't cry.. Oh, I'm so sorry.. I hate myself for this. But I will return, someday. I don't know when.. maybe months, or years later..
But I will, come back to you, I promise..

I love you.

Love, Cedric.

1 comment:

maneesha said...

NO coincidence???

Exactly what happened to me..